FAQs About Motorcycling in Texas

1. Is a motorcycle operator training course required for a motorcycle license?

Yes, proof of successful completion of a Department-approved Basic or Intermediate motorcycle operator training course (MSB-8) is required for licensing. This applies to all ages or if you held a motorcycle license which has since lapsed.

2. How long is the MSB-8 good for?

The MSB-8 completion card is valid for 24 months for licensing. If it has been more than 24 months since you have taken the course and have not yet added the class M to your license, you will need to take the course again.

3. Can I get a replacement card for the motorcycle training course?

Yes, your Training Provider is responsible for replacing your certificate up to 3 years from the date of your course; they may charge a fee.

4. Can a motorcycle safety course be used for ticket dismissal?

Yes, the law states that a judge may require you to successfully complete a driving safety course approved by the Texas Education Agency or a course under the motorcycle operator training and safety program approved by the designated state agency.

5. What is the helmet law in Texas?

Persons under the age of 21 years old must wear a helmet. Persons 21 years of age or older can choose not to wear a helmet if they meet one of the two exemptions:

a. The person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course.
b. The person is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan. The person shall request their health insurance plan to issue a card or letter with “MOTORCYCLE HEALTH: Standard Proof of Health Insurance”.

6. What are the laws regarding motorcycle passengers?

A passenger must be at least five years old. If the passenger is under 21 years old they must wear a helmet. If the passenger is 21 years old or older they may be exempt from wearing a helmet if they meet the exemption requirements.

 7. What is Malorie’s Law?

Malorie's Law passed in 2013 which states that if a motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person then it must be equipped with footrests and handholds for use by the passenger.

8. Can I cross an intersection on a red light if my bike doesn't trigger the signal to change?

No, there are no provisions in Texas law that will allow any non-emergency vehicle to bypass a red light.

9. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

No. The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:

• shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane;
• may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

More information can be found here: www.dps.texas.gov/msb/msbfaqs.htm